Although some people think that traveling during pregnancy is bad, it does not have to be dangerous as long as some guidelines are observed. To do this, we inform you about the advantages and risks of each means of transport, as well as the recommended destinations and those that should be avoided.
Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.
There are some means of transport in which it is not recommended that a pregnant woman travel after a certain stage of pregnancy.
If you are thinking of flying By plane While you are pregnant, you must know the conditions of the airline with which you have contracted the flight. Some of them require you to present a medical certificate from week 28 and do not allow you to board if you are more than 36 weeks pregnant (32 if it is a multiple pregnancy). They are as follows:
Likewise, there are others that, despite having similar guidelines, have some different characteristics from the previous ones. The most important are these:
- Aerolíneas Argentinas
- if the 8 weeks of gestation are exceeded, the form must be attached Transportation of Pregnant Passengers of a medical certificate.
- until week 28, you can fly with the Client Notification Letter. From 29 to 37, a medical certificate issued in the previous five days must also be presented. High-risk pregnant people or people over 38 weeks old cannot fly.
- Air Berlin
- it is possible up to four weeks before delivery and a pregnancy card or medical certificate may be required.
- American Airlines
- if the delivery is within four weeks, a medical certificate made in the last 48 hours is mandatory. The limit is extended up to 7 days if it is a domestic flight of less than five hours.
- the medical certificate is presented from week 30 and it must be a maximum of 10 days old. In addition, a document must be signed that exempts the airline from any responsibility.
- you just have to fill in the document of Disclaimer from the 28th week of pregnancy.
- it is allowed to fly until the 35th or 32nd week if it is a multiple pregnancy.
- An authorization is requested from week 28.
- There are no restrictions nor do they ask for a certificate.
- He does not advise flying after week 36.
- LATAM (LAN)
- If you request it at least 24 hours in advance, you can count on a maximum assistance service. A certificate must be delivered as of week 28. After week 36, a certification authorized by LATAN doctors must be obtained within 48 hours prior to the flight. You cannot fly from 39.
- It is recommended to carry a medical certificate from week 28 on. You can fly until week 36 (28 if it is multiple gestation).
- pregnant women are admitted up to 4 weeks before delivery. If it is a flight less than four hours, you can go between 4 and 2 weeks before the delivery if you carry a medical certificate.
- If you travel from week 36 (32 if multiple pregnancy), you need a medical certificate.
- You can fly up to week 36 of pregnancy, 32 if it is multiple.
- after week 28 a medical certificate is required.
The main reason airlines limit the right to fly in the last weeks of pregnancy is to avoid an onboard delivery. Regardless of the conditions of each company, the IATA (International Association of Air transport) sets the recommended limit in 36 weeks gestation, 32 for a multiple pregnancy.
One of the few risks of flying pregnant is suffering from venous thrombosis as a result of sitting in a tight space for too long.
To avoid this, it is advisable to choose a seat with space, wear compression stockings and get up for a few minutes every hour. Likewise, you can also take heparin as long as you have a prescription.
Regarding radiation, despite the fact that in an airplane it is higher than on the ground due to the height it reaches, there is no scientific study that justifies that this could harm the fetus.
Nor is there any added problem in other aerial means such as the helicopter or the hot air balloon.
In general, traveling on a boat or cruise is not dangerous for a pregnant woman. However, some companies require a medical certificate or limit travel from a certain stage of pregnancy.
In the case of the Naviera Armas company, women with a pregnancy of up to 36 weeks can get on board. Instead, the shipping company Fred. Olsen Express does not meet any specific requirements in its General Conditions of Transport.
The symptom that can be suffered the most is nausea and dizziness, which are increased in women who are pregnant. However, the larger the boat, the more stable it is and therefore there is less risk.
Bus and car
The bus is considerate worst means of transport for pregnant women. Among the causes, we find that some models do not have a bathroom. Furthermore, there is hardly any mobility and it is dangerous to walk on it.
If you are going to go in this vehicle, it is advisable to choose a seat as spacious as possible and a route in which several stops are made in case the trip is long. It is also inappropriate to move around on a motorcycle, as there are greater risks.
On the other hand, the car is a recommended option, since it gives the trip more freedom. It is important to stop every two hours to stretch your legs and walk.
The worst stage to drive is after 7 months of pregnancy, since you do not have the same mobility. Also, whether you drive or not, the belt It must always be placed below the belly, as we can see in this image:
Unlike the bus, the train is more recommended during the gestation period, since you have greater freedom when moving: there is no problem in getting up and walking and they have toilets.
Likewise, the movement of the train does not usually affect pregnant women since it is slight, especially in the most modern models of high-speed trains, such as the AVE (Spanish High Speed).
However, when standing, be careful with possible sudden movements. These are more dangerous in other means of transport such as metro, in which it is safer and more comfortable to remain seated.
Not all countries are recommended if you are pregnant, as it is vital to ensure the health of both the woman and the future baby. Therefore, when choosing a certain destination, these factors should be taken into account:
- Risk of disease
- Health infrastructures
- Quality of hotels and transport
- Tourist offer suitable for pregnant women
Among the best destinations to travel while pregnant we find the United States, especially the area of New York. The US is a country with advanced health and for which it is not necessary to take any health precautions.
Most EuropeAs NorwayIt is also a good idea, as there are no endemic risk diseases and the quality of water and food is generally good.
There are even places like Disneyland Paris that make it easier for pregnant women to visit, because if they present a medical certificate, they are given a special access card.
The most dangerous
There are some countries to avoid if you are pregnant. In the first place, those destinations where there is a risk of contracting a disease are dangerous, such as Brazil or India.
In addition, there are some States where the health it is usually not optimal, like Thailand, Indonesia or the Philippines. It is more convenient to travel to a place that has medical guarantees.
On the other hand, in areas located at an altitude of more than 3.000 meters, the oxygen level is lower, as is the case in some parts of Peru. In the case of Machu Picchu, it is located 2.430 meters above sea level.
In addition, in general, long trips are not advisable, so, from Spain, it should be avoided destinations such as Dubai, Cuba or Mexico.
The Spanish Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality provides some advice for pregnant women. One of them is that the best time to travel during pregnancy is in the second trimester of pregnancy.
In relation to the above, the yellow fever vaccine is contraindicated during the first trimester of pregnancy. The Japanese encephalitis vaccine is also not recommended at any stage, unless the risk of infection is high.
Malaria or Hepatitis B endemic areas should be avoided. Also, during the third trimester, Hepatitis E. it is more serious, since the fatality rate reaches 20%.
Similarly, it is not advisable to expose yourself to the sun for a long time, travel to areas with an altitude greater than 3.000 meters or to places far from health centers.
Questions from users
Why is traveling pregnant dangerous?
Traveling does not pose a risk during pregnancy as long as it does not have complications and the woman is in good health. However, it is important to follow the recommendations in this article and the advice of your doctor.
Until what month is it safe to travel pregnant?
As we have mentioned previously, the best time is the second trimester, as there is no risk of premature birth and there is no discomfort in the first months. Therefore, it is best to travel until 6 months, around week 26.
Is it dangerous to travel pregnant with twins?
Whether it is a pregnancy with twins, twin, or whatever is multiple, it is considered to be of greater risk than a current one. However, it does not have to be dangerous as long as the doctor's recommendations are followed.
What happens if I go into labor on an airplane?
As we have indicated above, airlines try to avoid this situation. However, if it happens, as a general rule, the help of a medical specialist who is on the flight is requested and the flight attendants help as far as possible.
What would the baby's nationality be if it was born on an airplane? And in international waters?
It is a difficult question, since each country has different laws. In some, by being born in their territory you acquire their nationality, but in others you do not. For this reason, if a baby is born on an airplane, the nationality regulations of the airline in which it is flown must be observed. Therefore, it does not affect whether the delivery occurs in international waters.
This article has been shared 59 times. We have spent many hours collecting this information. If you liked it, share it, please: